Data Engineer | London | TUI
As a Data Engineer within our Global Marketing Technology team, you will play a pivotal role in technically delivering our data and analytical integrations and solutions alongside a talented multi-disciplinary team, comprising of software engineering and QA. You will be passionate about working with data and ensuring we build products that exposes the value of that data.
The Marketing Technology team has a commitment to deliver a connected, real time Global Marketing Platform (GMP) for all markets across Europe. The transformation and development of GMP is ever increasing and the ability to implement a continuous feature delivery pipeline is key to its success. You’ll be joining an exciting, new team to develop industry leading solutions to meet business needs.
We are headquartered in Germany, with an international office network in London, Luton, Hanover, Porto and Berlin to mention few.
TUI group sees the application of data and analytics as a core source of competitive advantage in the drive to deliver market leading personalised customer experiences which maximise the value captured from our extensive product range whilst operating at maximum efficiency. We have embarked on a journey of development towards a more digital, connected and integrated future. But we haven’t arrived there yet. Join us now and shape the future of travel.
What you will be doing:
We are looking for a strong Data Engineer to join our growing team; The ideal candidate is experienced in data pipeline production and data collection, responsibilities will include ingesting, expanding and optimizing our data into marketing technologies, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams from various platforms. In addition, you’ll work with Software engineers to automate the ingestion of data & assets into the GMP to allow for on demand & real time personalized Marketing. Furthermore, work will include the push of data back into our Global Data Platforms for improved ML, BI & data enrichment.
The Data Engineer will work closely with a team of front end developers, other data engineers and analysts on data initiatives to ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects. The ideal candidate must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing and supporting the re-design of our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of analytic and data initiatives.
You will be integral to the digital transformation journey and the success of this for TUI by maintaining, improving and driving best practices with respect to our data. This role will act as the bridge between our backend IT function and the business marketing teams and work on delivering crucial data solutions to meet the needs of the business.
- You will manage the pipelining (collection, ingestion, access), engineering (cleansing, feature creation / selection) and understanding (documentation, exploration) of this data.
- You will create sustainable real time feeds of data that underpin our marketing activities
- Acquire, create and manage innovative yet stable data assets for the team.
- Work closely with software developers, data analysts, data scientists, and decision-makers, such as product owners, to build solutions and gain novel insights.
- Evaluate user requests for new or re-engineered analytics and reporting solutions to determine their feasibility and time requirements, and their compatibility with current systems and architecture standards.
- Active participation in the development of the data lake and data marts and subsequent enhancements, including the creation of new data solutions to support development of analytic capabilities
- Interact with stakeholders regarding data availability and report format/presentation, to ensure the report provides the information the stakeholder’s needs without compromising the report's accuracy
- Deliver new capabilities to the business through agile delivery methods, so a working knowledge and experience of Agile, Scrum and Jira would also benefit the candidate.
What we are looking for:
- Hands on experience bringing event based, real time data into Marketing Technologies.
- The ability to design, implement and use effective database structures to ensure data is organised effectively and ready for downstream development of data science and analytics.
- Experience working in a structured environment and desire for good documentation, exceptional delivery, effective organisation, and high-quality communication with team and customers.
- Experience of Big Data platforms, enabling non-technical users to gain insight into key business metrics
- Hands on experience with modern "Big Data" systems (e.g. Amazon RedShift, AWS, Snowflake, Athena, Glue, Caspian)
- Familiarity with a traditional BI application such as Power BI, Tableau or Spotfire
- Strong SQL and data profiling skills is a must
- Excellent knowledge of data types including JSON, XML, CSV etc.
- Solid understanding of data warehousing principles, concepts and best practices (e.g. ODS, Data Mart, Data Lakes)
- Comfortable working with SQL / NoSQL
- Understanding of the contemporary data engineering and analytics landscape, the current tools, the pertinent approaches and the likely challenges.
- Experience of both modern compiled & dynamic scripting languages: e.g. node, Scala, python.
- Strong problem solving and analytic skills
TUI and you
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme, life assurance and options to buy shares
- Generous holiday entitlement & holiday discounts
- Forward thinking ways of working
- TUI time off, purchase of additional holiday entitlement
- Excellent rates with foreign exchange and discounts with retailers
TUI Group’s vision is to make travel experiences special. To fulfil this vision, we never stop looking ahead, seeking new ways to delight our customers and grow our business. We recognise the power of digital and the massive contribution this brings to creating a truly unique and differentiated customer experience.
TUI Group is the leading tourism business with over 70,000 employees internationally, across more than 100 countries. The Group umbrella consists of strong tour operators, 1,600 travel agencies and leading online portals, five airlines with more than 150 aircraft, over 380 hotels, twelve cruise liners and countless incoming agencies in all major holiday destinations around the globe.
If you want to know more about why TUI Group is the world’s leading tourism group, and our continuing work in the diversity & inclusion space, simply visit careers.tuigroup.com